To do: Print these Three Part Cards and learn animal names.
Time: 15 minutes
Materials: Hibernating Animal Three Part Cards
For this activity, learn which animals hibernate using Three Part Cards to build vocabulary!
Three Part Cards are often used in the Montessori classroom to help children learn new words from a wide variety of themes. In this set, we have 6 animals that hibernate. Here’s how to use them:
1. Print out this set of cards. You’ll see two identical sets, one with name labels that are meant to be cut out, and one that acts as a control card with name label attached. Cut along the gray lines!
2. Start by looking at only the picture card together. Ask “What is this?” Does your child already know the name of the animal in the picture? Great. If they don’t know it yet, place the card to one side. Go through the whole set of cards this way, then start again with the images your child isn’t familiar with.
3. Select 3 of the unknown cards. Introduce the animal, “This is a skunk.” Go through all 3 card this way.
4. Next, using the same set of 3, ask your child to do an action with the card. For example, “Give me”, “Point at”, “Pick up”, or “Put the __ over there”.
5. Lastly, point at or pick up a card and ask your child, “What is this?” Your child will be confident in their new vocabulary after working with it in three different ways! Continue with a new set of cards if your child is interested, or save some for another day.
Enjoy learning new hibernating animals vocabulary!
Recommended for you: