January is traditionally a time for resolutions and fresh-starts. It’s a new year after all!
This year we have a New Year’s challenge for the whole family.
We’ll be posting one weekly indoor exercise that’s simple and requires no equipment other than your enthusiasm. Join in the fun by following along and doing the activity as a family! We’ll publish guidelines and ideas every Thursday, and the activities will be suitable for children of all ages.
As an added bonus, every time you send us a photo of you and your family doing the activity, we’ll enter you in a giveaway for the chance to win an awesome “yoga for kids” prize package, including a child’s yoga mat. Keep an eye on Instagram for more sneak peeks at the prizes.
You could have your name entered up to 4 times, once for each week in January! So, let’s get started with Week 1.
Week 1: Squat Jumps or Donkey Kicks
Practices balance and gross motor movements
As promised, these activities require very little preparation on your part and will be sure to get your blood pumping.
Your child will love these gross motor activities, which means they use the whole body. They will also test your child’s balance. Here’s how to get started:
- Step 1: Lock your hands, palm facing out, above your head like you’re blocking the sun from reaching your face.
- Step 2: Count down 3, 2, 1, and as you do so, slowly lower your body until you’re in a low squat.
- Step 3: Say “lift-off” and jump straight up!
Repeat as many times as you’d like.
- Step 1: Get in a table top position, with hands and knees on the ground, hands about a shoulder’s width apart.
- Step 2: Raise your right knee off the ground, and kick your leg back until your quad is in alignment with your torso. Pause and return the knee to the starting position.
- Step 3: Repeat with the same leg as many times as you’d like. Do the same activity with the left leg.
Your young children will enjoy kicking up with their leg, just like a donkey! Feel free to do your best donkey bray.
Recommended for you: